Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) is a pioneer of telemedicine and operates a comprehensive Poly telepresence and videoconferencing infrastructure that serves 108 counties in West Texas. TTUHSC’s telemedicine program brings specialist care to community health centers, schools and other facilities in some of the most remote West Texas towns—care that would only be available in clinics and hospitals located several hours away. The telemedicine program also provides care to inmates in more than a dozen Texas correctional facilities, preserving public safety and efficiently meeting healthcare requirements.
TTUHSC contacted BT Conferencing looking for a telemedicine cart to improve mobility and enhance its telemedicine capabilities. When TTUHSC identified their need for a telemedicine cart, a stock solution was not available on the market that suited the program. It was necessary to source a mobile telemedicine cart that had a smaller footprint conducive to the limited space in the rural clinics, yet offered substantial and lockable storage to accommodate the essential medical equipment needed to provide comprehensive patient care.
On the university’s behalf, BT Conferencing approached AVTEQ to custom design and manufacture a mobile telemedicine cart which included all of the program’s desired features and specifications, paired with the distinguished quality that AVTEQ has become known for in the industry.
BT Conferencing and AVTEQ discussed the primary capabilities and features for the telemedicine. The next step was to provide initial drawings for review and client approval.
The final design had the following features for the telemedicine cart:
- Accommodate one display up to 42” or dual displays up to 32“ each
- Front and rear adjustable-depth 19” rack mount bracket
- Anti-microbial powder coated finish
- Two standard adjustable shelves with ventilation
- 6“ Institutional grade casters, 2 with brakes
- Integrated adjustable height v/c camera platform
- Integrated universal screen mount system
- Bolt-on rear access panel
- 6 Port rack mounted APC® surge protector power strip
- Locking front door with push-to-close latch
- Adjustable interior door hook
- Perforated rear, side and base panels and for ventilation
- Cable management features
- Easy rollabout design
- 100% solid steel construction
The custom designed telemedicine cart met TTUHSC project goals and now has multiple carts in its facilities. Due to the success at TTUHSC, AVTEQ launched the TMP-600 telemedicine cart to the market.